Thursday 12 November 2015

Dependency theory

Dependency theory

1. I mainly consume media for entertainment purposes. I use devices such as: television, phone, console etc. I can access social media on those devices but I mainly use my phone as it more convenient because it is portable. My gaming is mainly done by using my console because that's what's it's designed for. However, I do use media for information. For example, help for doing my homework can be found on the internet.

2. I believe we rely on the media too much. This isn't good because information we find out can be subject which means we don't know the other side of a story. Therefore, people form opinions based off what the media wants us to know. It's almost as if they are swaying our decisions in a certain path to blind us from the truth. This is dangerous as it creates conflict. There is clear evidence of this and it emphasises the fact that people are reliant on the media.

3. The frequency of people updating their knowledge on certain topics using the media has changed. This is because of the enhancement in technology which is constantly updating and there are many more ways of accessing the internet compared to 10 years ago. Therefore, I think that we were always dependent on the media, it's just that people check sites (news) a lot more frequently compared to the past. However now technology has improved, it allows people in one country to read a newspaper article from another country. This means that opinions formed now are more fair and not as biased as we can now know about the whole news story.

4. This article supports the theory as it states that young people are dependent on the internet and feel lost without it. The theory says we are dependent on the media and it makes us form certain decisions and opinions based on what we are being fed. Also, the article suggests young people need the internet to find out information and for entertainment. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment